Saturday, May 29, 2010

quod nos non necat fortiores facit

Andy’s hybrid guitar

As you may have gathered, Andy’s hybrid guitar has been something of a challenge. The last tricky part of its construction was making up the fingerboard extension and you can see below, a sequence of photos showing the process. One thing that I’m trying to do is to keep the soundboard free of other components being fixed to it; hence the finger board floating above the soundboard. You might like to note that the floating portion has been stiffened with a carbon fibre bar.

Once the fingerboard was glued on and Amanda and I were having our evening meal- I said to her, “this guitar of Andy’s reminds me of that saying, that which does not kill us makes us stronger.” I thought it might be cool to write this on the label- but in a less obvious way- so I got my Classics teacher friend, James, to translate the phrase into Latin for me! quod nos non necat fortiores facit

With the fingerboard on it’s all plain sailing from here!









There’s also a bit more here about French polishing for you......

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Wood With Strings said...

These are really useful videos Gary. There's nothing quite like watching over someone's shoulder to demystify a process. I hope there are more on the way!

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home