Thursday, September 14, 2017

Brendan’s Mandolin………….making progress!

The next stage for Brendan’s instrument is the rosette; we’ve decided on a theme of red and black so here are some photos of the process……………
 
The centre of the rosette is made from African Blackwood and although it will be difficult to see what the centre actually is, we’ll know! As a point of interest I always keep off-cuts to use for small features such as this rosette. Back 2009 I made a Blackwood classical guitar for Matt Bellamy of Muse fame; Brendan’s rosette’s centre comes from that!
 
I like the effect of running the rosette right up to the sound hole itself and then binding the hole with black lines so that you don’t see any spruce. I seem to be doing this more and more.
 And finally the rosette itself.
 
Also I’ve been working on the Macassar ebony back here you can see it fully braced and fitted to the rim. I always cut small housing joints into the linings to give a secure anchor for the brace ends.
 
 On a different note! Brendan often recommends music for me to listen to and the latest insight has been Peter Ostroushko. I had been blissfully ignorant of this wonderful musician so had buy this CD set. I particularly like playing it whilst working on Brendan's mandolin.

Cheers Brendan!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home